For its Project Office in Bologna (Italy), CTAO seeks an experienced Deputy Project Manager.
As a member of the CTA construction project, the Deputy Project Manager supports the CTA Project Manager in the day-to-day management to ensure that CTA construction is executed within requirements, budget and schedule. Reporting to the CTA Project Manager, he/she works closely with the project office staff, in-kind contributors and companies and takes over dedicated tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will support the CTA Project Manager across the range of management and coordination tasks in the CTA construction project, which include:
- coordinating the technical teams at the CTAO headquarter, Science Data Management Centre and on the sites in the northern and southern hemispheres
- coordinating the in-kind contributions with respect to technical specifications, scheduling, quality control, acceptance procedures, deployment and commissioning
- organizing topical technical meetings with contributors and project office staff
- ensuring close interaction with systems engineering, both at the contributors and within CTAO
- organizing and/or chairing project reviews.
As Deputy, the selected candidate will work very closely with the CTA Project Manager, taking over agreed tasks and representing him at various levels and occasions as well as during absence.
Reports to: CTA Project Manager
Qualifications and Experience:
CTAO seeks an experienced project manager with a university degree in physics, engineering, astronomy, or other relevant fields. The successful candidate should possess:
- Extensive project management experience in construction and/or operation of an observatory or other large scale scientific facilities, in an international setting
- Track record of managing multi-disciplinary and multi-national teams in a complex and changing project environment, distributed over many locations
- Experience with science driven projects, preferably consisting of in-kind contributions
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience with project management methodologies, including definition, organization and conducting project reviews
- Ability to work independently following the assigned tasks and responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Willingness and ability for travel
- Knowledge of Spanish is not mandatory but considered an asset
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and complex project environment
- Organized and result-oriented work style with a pragmatic approach
- The ability to build strong and effective links with the contributing partners, within the Project Office and project stakeholders
- Ability to adapt quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and constraints
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills
Remuneration and Contract: CTAO offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary and fringe benefits. The contractual form is subject to negotiation.
Duty Station: Bologna, Italy, with frequent travel.
Application: Applications with a full CV and cover letter in English should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating position reference “Deputy Project Manager” and the names of three referees with contact details. CTA is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, please visit www.cta-observatory.org. or contact the CTA Project Manager Dr. Wolfgang Wild, email@example.com.
Closing date: 30.09.2018