For its Project Office in Bologna (Italy), the CTAO is seeking a Software Coordinator to provide leadership in the definition and execution of the CTA software activities across the project. This includes software for observatory operation and telescope control, data collection, processing and archiving, safety, alarm and monitoring, as well as software for the science user.
Duties and Responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced software project manager for the challenging task of leading the CTA software definition, including scope and interfaces, development, integration, testing and acceptance. As member of the CTA Project Office and part of the CTA construction project, the software coordinator plays a key role in coordinating the software related activities. Supported by dedicated coordinators for the various major software elements, the selected candidate is expected to successfully implement an efficient and easy-to-maintain software system for CTA.
Main responsibilities include:
- Lead the CTA software activities involving many partners in the CTA Consortium and in close cooperation with CTA systems engineering
- Lead the coordinators for the various major software elements of CTA
- Coordinate internal and external software teams contributing to CTA
- Definition of software architecture and software standards
- Definition of the project-wide software development lifecycle and environment
- Contribution to the definition of the ICT infrastructure both on-site and off-site
Close collaboration with Project Office staff and CTA contributors in the areas of systems engineering, telescopes, science operations and others are key to success.
CTA Project Manager
Qualification and Experience:
CTAO seeks an experienced software manager with a University Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Astronomy, or other relevant fields.
The successful candidate should possess:
- Extensive software project management experience in Observatories or similar large scientific facilities
- Proven experience in designing software system architectures, applying well-known programming patterns and design principles
- Experience in selecting and implementing software development methodologies, as well as testing and quality assurance procedures in software projects and associated tooling
- Good command of at least one high-level programming language such as C++, Python or Java
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and complex project environment, to take decisions and provide leadership
- The ability to build strong and effective links with all contributing partners
- Excellent communication skills, with good knowledge of English
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Result-oriented work style
Remuneration and Contract:
CTAO offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary. This will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The contract is an open term contract subject to successful completion of the probation period.
CTAO Project Office in Bologna, Italy, with frequent travel to participating institutions, the Science Data Management Centre in Berlin (Germany) and – during site deployment – to the observatory sites in La Palma (Spain) and Paranal Observatory (Chile).
Applications with a full CV and cover letter in English should be sent to email@example.com, indicating position reference “SW Coordinator” and the names of three referees with contact details.
By submitting applications candidates acknowledge we might contact referees at any stage of the process without prior notice.
Incomplete applications will not be processed.
CTAO is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, please visit www.cta-observatory.org or contact the CTA Project Manager Dr. Wolfgang Wild, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: 31.10.2018