Assistant Professor for HE gamma-ray astronomy – CTA LST Project
Institute for Cosmic Ray Research, The University of Tokyo
The Institute for Cosmic Ray Research (ICRR), The University of Tokyo, Japan, is a research center in the fields of Cosmic Ray and Astroparticle Physics and has a longstanding history in these fields. We are looking for two Assistant Professors who can
work for the CTA (Cherenkov Telescope Array) Project in our institute. The High-Energy Gamma-Ray group at ICRR is deeply involved in the CTA Project and its construction, and leading the development and construction of the CTA Large Size Telescopes (LSTs).
The position (CTA AP ELEC 01): The successful applicant must work on the production, qualification and operation of readout electronics, and the construction of data acquisition systems for four LSTs at La Palma in Spain. After the construction, she / he should work on HE gamma-ray astronomy and Astroparticle physics using the data from CTA / CTA-LSTs.
The position (CTA AP OPT 02): The successful applicant must work on the production, qualification and operation of focal plane instruments and electronics, light guides, and active mirror control systems for four LSTs at La Palma in Spain. After the
construction, she / he should work on HE gamma-ray astronomy and Astroparticle physics using the data from CTA / CTA-LSTs.
Since CTA is a quite large international project, applicants with an international mind are strongly encouraged. Applicants should have a PhD degree or be about to complete it. The successful applicant is expected to start working at ICRR, The University of Tokyo, anytime on the earliest possible date after 1st April 2019. The salary and benefits depend on the scientific career of the successful applicant and are defined for the assistant professor in the articles for the Faculty Employment of the University of Tokyo. The employment contract is permanent. The University of Tokyo encourages applications by scientists with foreign nationalities and female scientists according to the University of Tokyo’s equal opportunities employment policy.
The applicants will be screened on the basis of their application documents, and candidates will be invited for interviews scheduled in March / April 2019. The applicants shall submit the following documents in PDF format by e-mail, to be received before 12:00 JST (Japan Standard Time) on 18th February 2019:
0) The applicants can apply one of the two positions or both positions with the cover page mentioning “Application to the position of Assistant Professor for CTA-LST at ICRR, The University of Tokyo, with a suffix of (CTA ELEC AP01), (CTA OPT AP02), or (CTA ELEC AP01 and OPT AP02)”,
1) Curriculum Vitae (including your e-mail address, and the statement of PhD holder or schedule of the PhD defense),
2) Research experience on three pages,
3) Publication list and copies of the most important publications (up to 5 papers — please put marks on the publication list), and a list of oral presentations in conferences and workshops,
4) Possible date when you can start to work,
5) Research Plan on three pages.
6) Two letters of reference should be arranged to be sent directly to the e-mail address given below.
All the above documents shall be sent in due time to the following address: email@example.com
For further information, please contact Prof. Masahiro Teshima with e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org